Scotty Nguyen won the 2008 HORSE WSOP event in a drunken state, Doyle Brunson states that Nguyen is a "good friend" and there was no excuse for his behaviour except to say that the event winner had way too much to drink.
Although Scotty Nguyen was drunk, his victory in the 2008 HORSE WSOP won him $1,989,120 which was also his first win since 2001 when he received two bracelets. Doyle Brunson stated that the tournament director should have dealt with the situation with Scotty Nguyen's behaviour much earlier.
Doyle Brunson commented "I’ve been getting a lot of inquiries about Scotty’s behavior when he won the HORSE tournament at the WSOP. I don’t really know what to say about it, except it was a very bad display of poker etiquette. Scotty is a good friend of mine, and I can only excuse his behavior by saying he had too much to drink.Who among us hasn’t at one time or another?"
"The tournament director should have stepped in, cut off the alcohol and given Scotty a one-time warning, followed by a severe penalty if the warning wasn’t observed. Scotty is usually very gracious and obliging and a good ambassador for poker. Let’s give him another chance! "
2008 39th Annual World Series of Poker
- 25 July 2008
- World Championship H.O.R.S.E. (Event 45)
- $50,000 buy-in
- 1st $1,989,120
Total WSOP & Circuit Earnings: $4,794,817
WSOP 2008 HORSE Winner - Scotty Nguyen
WSOP Bracelets: 5
- Ranks as one of the highest earning tournament players of all time
- Scotty Nguyen's nickname for poker is The Prince
- Nguyen left his homeland on a small boat and sailed across the South China Sea to the United States with his family and arrived in the U.S.A with hardly any money or possessions.
- Nguyen started playing poker in Las Vegas in 1988-1989